About Me

My photo
I am a bohemian nomad, someone who acts and lives free of regard for conventional rules and practices, but also one who moves according to the seasons. After traveling to over 100 countries and all 7 continents over the past 12 years I feel that I truly subscribe to the words of Mary Poxon, who said. "I sought to see the amazing as normal and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel." I will be forever in pursuit of new sights and adventures and hope that maybe I can convince a few more to give budget travel a chance. Budget travel gives those with little money an opportunity to travel and those with money an opportunity to travel longer.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

MOZAMBIQUE, Tofu

March 15th

I had planned on staying two nights in Maputo and then going to Tofu but then a group of 50 architects on holiday from South Africa arrived at the hostel. Quickly realized there would be little rest here. Asked if I could cancel my 2nd night and appy that to the shuttle/bus service to Tofu which is 7 hrs long. He said yes so up again early at 4:30 am for the 5 am departure to the bus station. Got a seat in the back of the bus on the last row and was surrounded by baggage. Luckily I visited the toilet right before we departed because our 1st toilet stop was 4.5 hrs later. A new personal best or worst, depending on your perspective, for me between bathroom breaks. In Central America you can always depend on at least a break every two hours. Finally arrived and then loaded into a minivan for last 30 minutes to the beach. We were dropped off at Fatima's in Tofu (same owner as Fatimas in Maputo) but though they were on the beach, they did not take Visa or have free internet. Decided to walk around and look as someone I met in Maputo told me about another place. I walked down the path and saw Liquid, a dive shop, my backpacker friend Bill had mentioned and I stopped there to find out about local accommodations. Cindy, one of the owners, asked if I was interested in diving and I said possibly. Told her what I was looking for in accommodations and price and she drove me to two great places. Mozambeats and Turtle Cove. Both had swimming pools, dorm beds for $11 but neither were on the beach. Turtle Cove's dorm only had two beds and the other was currently empty plus free wifi. Sold. Only 15 minute walk to the beach and I have a pool and free wifi. Easter is quickly approaching and may lose my spot then but will deal with that later.    



 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment