About Me

My photo
I am a bohemian nomad, someone who acts and lives free of regard for conventional rules and practices, but also one who moves according to the seasons. After traveling to over 100 countries and all 7 continents over the past 12 years I feel that I truly subscribe to the words of Mary Poxon, who said. "I sought to see the amazing as normal and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel." I will be forever in pursuit of new sights and adventures and hope that maybe I can convince a few more to give budget travel a chance. Budget travel gives those with little money an opportunity to travel and those with money an opportunity to travel longer.

Saturday, September 12, 2020

NAMIBIA, Sossusvlei Sand Dunes

January 18, 2013

Camped at Sesriem, gateway to the sand dunes. After putting up the tents we went the 6 miles to the sand pan that is located between several large sand dunes up to 960 feet tall (96 stories). About once every 3 years the sand pan is flooded and creates a beautiful lake in the midst of the sand dunes. The sand dunes are Namibia's #1 tourist attraction and cover 32,000 square kilometers (20,000 square miles). The dunes reach as high as 325 meters (1000 feet). It was amazing to stand in the middle of the salt pan while surrounded by the sand dunes.

Afterwards we went to Dune 45 (called that because it is 45 kilometers from campsite) and climbed to the top of it and watched the sunset.    






















No comments:

Post a Comment