About Me

My photo
I am a bohemian nomad, someone who acts and lives free of regard for conventional rules and practices, but also one who moves according to the seasons. After traveling to over 100 countries and all 7 continents over the past 12 years I feel that I truly subscribe to the words of Mary Poxon, who said. "I sought to see the amazing as normal and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel." I will be forever in pursuit of new sights and adventures and hope that maybe I can convince a few more to give budget travel a chance. Budget travel gives those with little money an opportunity to travel and those with money an opportunity to travel longer.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

SOUTH AFRICA,, Christmas Day flight to Johannesburg, South Africa.

December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas to all. Woke up in Natchez at 5:30 am to no electricity and pouring rain. Not the start I had hoped for to begin my Africa trip. Fortunately for me, my cousin, Brad, had agreed to drive me to the airport. I arrived at the airport at 9:25 am and within 5 minutes I had checked a bag, cleared security and made it to my gate. No one flying today. Now only 2.5 hr wait but better safe than sorry.   

I will have a 2 hr. layover in Atlanta and then a 15 hr. 20 minute direct flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. I am staying at a hostel only 1.5 miles from the airport in Johannesburg because I fly to Livingston, Zambia the next day to begin my week at Victoria Falls. Victoria Falls has always been somewhere I wanted to visit.On January 4th, I will join an Overland Truck Safari. We will be camping in tents most of the time and will travel to Botswana, Namimbia and end in Cape Town, South Africa. The 21 day safari will include 4-5 National Parks and will include the incredible sand dunes in Namimbia.

At the end of the safari I will spend another 5-6 days in Cape Town and then head out on my on through South Africa and Zimbabwae before flying to Uganda for 3-4 weeks. Searching for and visiting with the mountain gorillas will no doubt be the highlight of this trip but you never know.  Not sure of any other destinations, will play it by ear.

Will post pictures when the internet is available and affordable.     

No comments:

Post a Comment